Saturday, September 19, 2009

What a week it has been...

Not even sure where to start with this one but back at the beginning I guess. First off the childbirth class that wasn't.

We had our class scheduled for Sept 11 & 12. I was so excited and looking forward to learning more about labor and delivery and hopefully ease my mind on some things. Jim came home and Friday we arrived at class and all was good. We were there with about 9 other couples and the instructor was really nice. We toured the labor and delivery department and it was nice to see it one more time :) lol We were to return on Sat morning at 9:00 AM. I woke up and had not been feeling well through the night but this is nothing unusual so we we went on our way and arrived to class on time. About 15 minutes into the class I had to excuse myself to the washroom. I was gone for about 25 minutes when I returned and sat in my seat ready for the rest of what was to come. I was feeling a little better and figured I was good to go. I could not have been more wrong. About 15 minutes later we had a short break and I was hungry for one of the yummy bagels sitting at the back of the class. So I picked the one I thought I wanted and sat back down. Took one bite and I knew I was done. Class started again and there I sat suddenly feeling hot and instantly in a sweat. Then came the chills. I tried so hard to just pass it all off so no one knew I was not feeling the greatest. I could not hold it anymore and told Jim I think we need to leave and go home. He asked what was going on and all I could say was I just was not feeling well. He said let's wait until next break and if we needed to go then we could. Not happy with that answer I once again had to excuse myself and left class with all eyes on me wondering what was going on. I was so embarrassed on top of just not feeling well. I was out of class for what seemed like an hour before Jim came out to check on me and they called another break. I was in tears and hurting so bad it was horrible. I just wanted out of there and wanted to go home. We found the instructor and we left. The ride home was awful for me as I hurt so badly and needed the bathroom. The rest of the day I was in pain a never left the bathroom or my bed. I had called my doctor and she put in a prescription for me that Jim went and picked up for me. Then when that worked and I still felt horrible I called her back and we thought maybe I had an UTI going on so she prescribed me another prescription. Jim went to town once again to pick this up for me. By Sunday I had had enough. Called my doctor and off to the hospital we went. I cried the whole way and just hurt so bad. I was so worried about Annika on top of everything else. Just needed to know what was going on.

I was admitted to the hospital and they ran blood work to find that my kidneys were not functioning at peak levels and on pain meds I went. All I worried about was if these were okay for Annika and when would this horrible pain just go away. They scheduled me for an ultrasound on my organs for Monday morning in hopes it would tell us what was going on. My doctor came to see me Monday mid morning and she saw the ultrasound results. Lucky me, NOT, I was diagnosed with not 1 but 2 large kidney stones. Plus a small fragment of another one. Never having any issues with my kidneys this was a shock to say the least. With being pregnant there was not much in the way of options they could do accept keep me medicated on pain meds until Annika was born. 8 weeks away was looking like forever! They sent me home with a pain med perscription and off I went back to bed and in the bath tub all the time. Taking a bath was the only thing that would ease the pain even if it was only for a little while. Jim left to go back to Indy as he had something at work on Tues that he had to be there for and he hated to leave me there at home in so much pain. The pain meds worked for a little while but then started wearing off faster between pill doses and by Tuesday night I once again was headed to the hospital. I really never thought I would be test driving the Labor and Delivery department before Annika was ready to make her grand entrance but there I was again. They put me on a Morphine drip and I felt no pain once again and slept through the night. Just exhausted to say the least. His Mom brought me to the hospital and stayed with me until I fell asleep from the meds. The next morning my doctor came to see me as well as my Urologist and without many options because I was pregnant we just toughed it out with the meds until I was just done with them and we decided together to have a Stint put into my kidney to drain out the small stone piece that may be causing all my pain. Jim came home Thursday night an was here while I was in surgery Friday morning. All went wonderful though I was scared to death. Annika was a champ through it all and is still doing great. I feel like a new person after surgery and hope that after delivery they can remove the large stones and I will have no more issues. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I am no longer on pain meds and happy for that as I worried what effect they would have on Annika. I feel great and I can not wait to go home today. Just wtg for my doctor to come in and release me and off I go. YAAAAAA Home and my hubby here I come. I never knew that pregnancy can cause kidney stones but through all the pain I reminded myself of the blessing to come and it is still all worth it! They say kidney stones are WORSE than labor so I am thinking....Labor should be a piece of cake for me then :) lol I can only hope right :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a week you had! I used to have kidney issues (luckily not kidney stones) and remember meeting several patients at my Urologist´s office and them talking about unbearable pain kidney stones cause. It is great to hear that the surgery helped you for now and that Annika is doing well. Hope it will stay this way for the next 8 weeks till you have your precious one finally in your arms. All the best. Janka

    ReplyDelete